Monday, January 9, 2012

Sensitive Issues

Now that this new year is in full swing, I've had the opportunity to really think about my experiences as a first year teacher in a new way. I've been teaching for half of the school year and here are some things that I've noticed...

1. It's really hard to call Christmas break "winter break"...it's always been Christmas break to me and even those that didn't celebrate Christmas never made a big stink about it being called that. Now, we've got to be politically correct at every turn and it's hard.

2. After Christmas break, the floodgates are wide open. Students came back very quiet and oddly reserved last week. We went over our classroom rules and procedures again and they were little angels (most of them). Today, not so much. Actually, not at all...they are familiar with each other, the school, the teachers, and they are unashamed...Wild kids.

3. Middle schoolers are not babies and the students where I teach are wise far beyond their years. I've had students tell me things with a straight face that I would've been torn apart about. For example, before Christmas break, a student came up to my desk to give me his daily life report and he said with a straight face that his "sister and mom's boyfriend got hit by a car last night" and then he walked away, cool as a cucumber. What?! I asked him to come back and asked if he needed to go to guidance? an administrator? to talk to a friend? and his response was, "Mrs. Brannan, *sigh* they just got hit by a car...they didn't die, it's not that big of a deal!" I am completely baffled and scared for some of these kids. They live a life in which it's not that big of a deal if someone gets hit by a car, as long as they don't die. That is foreign to me.

4. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree- I have learned how true that expression often is. No examples necessary.

5. Teaching can be rewarding. There have been days that I have questioned my choice to be a teacher- I won't lie about that. However, those are far outnumbered by the days that I'm really thankful to be a teacher. I love the fact that there are at least 90 kids that depend on me, five days out of the week. I am one of the only constant things in their lives- that's enough to get me out of the bed every single day. Every day is different. There is no possible way to even predict what might happen during a school day. There is no such thing as a "typical day" and I love it that way. Even on some of the worst days, I've been excited to come back to school the next day because I know that every day is a new day and it's going to be better.

6. I HAVE TO HAVE A SCHEDULE. I absolutely loved the Christmas break. It's the best I've ever had by far. However, I learned that without a schedule, I go crazy. We were super busy the entire time, but there was no set schedule or very many planned activities and I couldn't handle it. We enjoyed our time spent with all of our families, the cruise, the friends, etc. but next year, I'm creating an itinerary! *just kidding*


With a thankful heart and excitement for the new year and all that it will bring,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment